Nairobi, Kenya, Nov 26 – Information Communication Technology (ICT) Cabinet Secretary Eliud Owalo has refuted claims that he has disobeyed a court order, with respect to Naim Bilal, directing that the latter be reappointed as KBC Managing Director.
In a series of tweets by the Government’s spokesperson, the CS’s office clarified the matter terming the claims inaccurate.
“We wish to correct the wrong information and the impression currently doing the rounds in part of online media to the effect that the CS for MoICTKenya has disobeyed a court order, with respect to Mr. Bilal, whose contract as MD of KBC ended earlier this year,” read the tweet.
In the situation, Bilal had prosecuted the Ministry for failing to grant him a fresh contract as ordered by the Employment and Labor Relations Court.
He added that the order for his reappointment was issued on October 31st this year and that both the Public Service Commission and the Cabinet Secretary had received copies of the order.
“In this matter in which Mr. Naim Bilal casts himself as aggrieved by the Ministry’s decision to not grant him a fresh contract, the Employment and Labor Relations Court determined that he should be granted an extension to his lapsed contract,” stated the tweets.
Owalo’s office further said that the judgement was however alive before the court of appeal.
“GoK has however filed an appeal before the Court of Appeal, to challenge the judgment issued in favor of Mr. Bilal. The matter is, accordingly, alive before the court,” they said.
“The CS has therefore, in fact, not defied any court order. The matter remains the property of the court and is very much alive,” they added.
Bilal’s contract as Kenya Broadcasting Corporation (KBC) Managing Director ended early this year.