A 16-year-old Form One student has died while four others have been hospitalised following suspected food poisoning in Homa Bay County.
Victor Otieno, a student of Kosele Mixed Secondary school, died while receiving treatment at Simbiri Hospital in Rachuonyo South Sub-county.
North Kamagak location Chief Benson Midigo said Otieno fell ill after eating a cooked mixture of maize and beans popularly known as githeri. The student ate the food in their home in Rachuonyo South Sub-county.
Midigo said the deceased, his three siblings and father fells sick after eating the food on Sunday, December 11.
The food was cooked at a church in situated in Upper Kakwajuok Sub-location in Rachuonyo North Sub-county.
Those who ate the food complained of stomach ache, vomiting and diarrhoea. The deceased’s father and three siblings were transferred to Matata Hospital in Oyugis town.
Midigo said the food was cooked by congregants of the church who had gathered for a special prayer service. He said the food was carried to the family by the boy’s grandmother.
“The information I have is that the deceased’s grandmother took the food to the family members who fell ill after eating it,” Midigo said.
The administrator said that other members of the church from other areas also developed similar health complication after eating the food.
Rachuonyo South Sub-County Police Commander Lilies Wachira confirmed the incident saying they had launched investigations into the matter.
“Preliminary investigations revealed that the deceased boy and his family members fell ill in what is suspected to be food poisoning. We are investigating the matter to enable us take an appropriate action,” Wachira said.